Philip Fellows tells us about his story: how God called him out of his previous role as a barrister into Baptist ministry. He applies his legal understanding of arguments to Paul's writing and gives advice on reading Paul and reading challenging passages in Paul's epistles.
Phil gives us a roadmap for understanding Romans and the passage in question before exploring the theme of God's wrath and judgment.
Phil's blog 'Living God' can be accessed here: https://philipfellows.wordpress.com.
This is the first of two parts with Phil. Tune in next week for the conclusion of the interview and to explore more of this passage.
Resources mentioned in the show:
- C.S. Lewis, 'The Great Divorce’ (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Divorce-Lewis-Signature-Classic/dp/0007461232/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=The+great+divorce&qid=1590063164&sr=8-1)
- C.S. Lewis, ‘Mere Christianity’ (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mere-Christianity-Lewis-Signature-Classic/dp/0007461216/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Mere+Christianity&qid=1590063231&sr=8-1)
- Ben Witherington III, ‘Paul’s Letter to the Romans’ (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pauls-Letter-Romans-Socio-rhetorical-Commentary/dp/0802845045/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Witherington+Romans&qid=1590063257&sr=8-1)
- Douglas Moo, The Letter to the Romans’ (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letter-Romans-International-Commentary-Testament/dp/0802871216/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Moo+Romans&qid=1590063298&sr=8-1)
- ESV Study Bible (https://www.amazon.co.uk/ESV-Study-Bible-Large-Print/dp/143354413X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=24E0ILZ7DD1UU&dchild=1&keywords=esv+study+bible&qid=1590063477&sprefix=ESV+St%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-1)
- Orthodox Study Bible (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orthodox-Study-Bible-OE-Some-NKJV/dp/0718003594/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Orthodox+study+bible&qid=1590063501&sr=8-1)
- Thomas C Oden, 'Classic Christianity’ (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Christianity-Systematic-Thomas-Oden/dp/0061449717/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Thomas+Oden+classic&qid=1590063529&sr=8-1)
- Gerald Bray, ‘Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture: Romas’ (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Romans-Ancient-Christian-Commentary-Scripture/dp/083081356X/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3AMRM2VMC31FS&dchild=1&keywords=ancient+christian+commentary+on+scripture&qid=1590063567&sprefix=Ancient+Christian+Commentar%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-3)
- Richard B Hays, ’The Moral Vision of the New Testament’ (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moral-Vision-New-Testament-Contemporary/dp/0567085694/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2EGKDA0J206G8&dchild=1&keywords=hays+moral+vision&qid=1590063324&sprefix=Hays+Moral+%2Caps%2C444&sr=8-1)
- Joshua Ryan Butler, ’The Skeletons in God’s Closet’ (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skeletons-Gods-Closet-Surprise-Judgment/dp/0529100819/ref=sr_1_1?crid=B3PM6Y2LI1L4&dchild=1&keywords=skeleton+in+gods+closet&qid=1590063375&sprefix=Skeletons+in+Gods%2Caps%2C313&sr=8-1)
- Gordon Fee, ‘How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth’ (https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Read-Bible-All-Worth/dp/0310517826/ref=sr_1_1?crid=UNMZ6HZWSM5G&dchild=1&keywords=how+to+read+the+bible+for+all+its+worth&qid=1590063425&sprefix=How+to+read+the+bible%2Caps%2C323&sr=8-1)